Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tuesday, June 28th

At the beginning of June, my friends (Karen and Amanda) and I registered for the Houston Marathon lottery - we registered as a group so we would either all be in or all be out, our group is named "Go Run Happy" (I picked this name because I could not think of anything clever).  We have waited all month to see if we "won" (and winning requires that we pay them $125) a spot in the Houston Marathon which will take place on January 15, 2012.   You are notified via email if you "win" or "lose" and the date set for this notification was Monday, June 27th.  Needless to say, I did not sleep much the night before.  I checked my banking account so many times over the weekend for a charge for the marathon that I got locked out.  I stayed up until 1:30am the night before watching my email because to me being notified on June 27th meant after midnight.  At 1:30am, I gave up and went to bed.  I received a text from another running friend, Rebecca, at around 5am which read "I'M IN!!!"  I knew exactly what she was talking about... no other explanation needed.  I was so excited for her and immediately went to check my email, but then I got scared to look.  What if we lost?  My heart sunk when I saw no email in my inbox.  It was now 5:30am.   My thoughts were negative.  Then I heard my phone buzz and when I opened my email there it was.... the golden ticket.... the "winning" notification... my heart jumped, my stomach felt butterflies.  I immediately texted Rebecca "I'M IN!!!!!"   My next text was to Karen and then Amanda.    So on January 15, 2012,  Karen, Amanda and myself will tackle 26.2 miles in downtown Houston!  

I have only run one full marathon before - I completed the Houston Marathon in January 2011.  It was hard.  The stories that runners tell about how you "meet the beast" or "hit a wall" during a marathon are true!  But although the 26.2 miles were long and hard, I want to do it again.  And again.  And again.   So next year along with running the Houston Marathon,  my partners in crime and I will be looking to run another marathon.   It makes sense to us that if you train for 6 long months, we should run 2 marathons.  Who knows... we may even do 3 next year!    (Karen, if you are reading this do not laugh at me.)

The rest of this year will be spent training for Houston.  We "officially" being marathon training July 9th.  For me that is exciting!  The less exciting thing about that day is that it is my 42nd birthday.  Ugh!!!   We have some other races lined up for this year - one that I am really looking forward to is the Gulf Coast Half Marathon on October 9th.  This is going to be a girls only road trip.  FUN TIMES!  We also have 4 on the Fourth (this coming Monday) and then the Swamp Stomp Half Marathon in December.  We are always looking for races to add to our resume...

Someone told me that I am obsessed with running... at first I balked at that.  Me?  Obsessed with running?  Then I realized I am obsessed (or dedicated) with running and there is nothing wrong with that!


No comments:

Post a Comment